About Me

My photo
I am well into my 30s and realize that I see the world differently than most of the people in my life. My views and beliefs are eclectically infused by my multi-racial background, love of the triune, over active brain, dual handedness and open mind to way too many things.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Watch what you say... it could have a bigger impact than you expected!

So I attend a bible study (D-Group) on Thursdays. We talk about Sunday's sermon, eat and laugh... you now, we fellowship!! The topic was church discipline, which sad to say I had limited knowledge of until this month. 


So as we were sharing somehow (I cannot remember how because it was after 8 pm and my mind slows around that time) we got onto the topic of adultery. One of my brothers gave this example from his life when he was married and talking about how he would say "I will never cheat! I am not that guy". He then described a conversation he had with a guy that pointed out that David was a man after God's own heart and he cheated, Solomon was the wisest and he cheated... (you get the point). AS he was talking the conversation went in a few directions and I just tucked what he said in the back of my mind.


Later that night I chatted with my "big brother" about my current relationship and a lot of missteps I had made in the past with this man and with others. It was a nice talk because for the first time I was really ahead of his advice. (you know not embarrassed and ashamed, but fully doing the things he was talking about). As our conversation moved to goofy chats and (faith based) sibling banter. I again tucked the words away thinking I would need to reflect on them later down the road when I was weaker in my walk! 


Neither of these men had said things that I thought were of great significance for my current situation. But I have been in the Christian game long enough to know that when something stands out hold onto it, because it will most likely come in handy one day. And the very next night I was faced with a choice that I would have not seen as one that could have led sin before their talks. 


*The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.
Proverbs 12:14-16



**Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the next night I was propositioned for sex. It was NOTHING like that! I am in a God led relationship that has had some bumps in the road, but we both love God and respect each other and our walk(s) with Christ. 


It was an innocent request on his part and I knew it. I agreed (because I knew he was innocent in his thinking) and then quickly felt God nudge me. Then the words from a friend's friend about me not being stronger or better than these biblical giants untucked themselves and danced across my mind's eye.  Before I could call him back to alter the plans my big brothers words that had once seemed like confirmation now looked like a warning. I began to pray. I didn't pray for strength but instead for the ability to acknowledge my weakness. To share my weakness with this man in a healthy way that would allow him to see ways to lead me and protect me, even from himself at times. 


*But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12: 8-10.



After the prayer I called him and tried to cancel the plans. Because they were not a sin trigger for him my request seemed odd. At first he was openly frustrated with me. (I mean do you know what it is like to be two 30-something year olds going on dates to the mall and Target, to stay away from sin, and one of the pair shoots down an innocent idea because she is too hot in the britches for your simple plan?) But God softened his heart and opened his ears and we were able to work through it and have a great evening that led to a closer relationship instead of sin. 


This post is not to show how I took the Christian "highroad" because my tread has been worn thinmore times than not on that other path. I am fully aware that my journey is only good when I hand the map and flashlight over to Jesus! I want people to see that had these two men in my life chosen not to share their thoughts and past stories I would have not had them to reflect on, and this could have been a very different post. 


So when you have a chance to share a story, advice or wisdom, SHARE IT!!! You have no idea what God can do with your words! We are all sinners and need the tales of the other's pasts to assist us in out present and help seal the deal on the blessing God has for our futures!!


Thanks to my brothers in Christ for unknowingly helping a sister out!!!




Scriptures!
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
Romans 8:25-27

And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling,
1 Corinthians 2:2-4 

Behold, you people of Israel, all of you, give your advice and counsel here."
Judges 20:6-8 

By insolence comes nothing but strife, but with those who take advice is wisdom.
Proverbs 13:9-11






No comments:

Post a Comment